Monday 30 June 2014

Top 5 Gems

I saw a blog challenge on Jewellery Maker TV's website the other day, asking jewellery makers to name their top 5 favourite gemstones, and why or how they are used. I thought this was going to be a bit hard for me; how wrong I was!

I know straight off my top 2 are Opal and Rose Quartz.

Opal is my birthstone, and I love every version of it. I must admit though, I have a soft spot/magpie eye for Fire Opal. The colour change which can happen depending on the light it is in and the iridescence that can also happen always catches my eye.

I'm a sucker for vintage things. Proper vintage that's pre-1950's and 1950's too. Rose Quartz has the ability to create a vintage look and also a modern look with very little effort. Last year I bought some carved Rose Quartz from Jewellery Maker TV, in the shape of a Rose - I couldn't help myself, they were beautiful - I used them to make classic pieces within a couple of days after I received them! Versatile is an over used word, but with Rose Quartz it's too true.


Rose Quartz rose and leaves with pink banded agate and dyed purple Jasper

Rose Quartz leaves with purple dyed jasper

close up of the Roze Quartz rose and leaves
 These are available as unique pieces at my Etsy shop, BubblyDuck Beads


 The next 3 of my favourite gemstones are in no particular order.

Like me, Snowflake Obsidian is perfectly imperfect. The natural inclusions which make the "snowflakes" are why I love it so much! It makes classic black and white or black and red jewellery zing with that added dimension which the snowflake provides with no effort or gaudiness. I have lots of strands of this, and generally will team it up with dyed, ethically sourced coral or blue goldstone for that starry night piece.


Snowflake Obsidian with dyed coral and metallic silver beads, also available on Etsy

As I said on my previous post, I love pearls and pearly things. I love Swarovski pearls for the colours they provide, and I love shell pearl for sheer availability and affordability. Real pearls are for when I have a little bit saved up, or I get them in a bundle or kit. Always classic, evoking vintage era designs for fashion and jewellery, pearls are an evocative gem. English Poet Laureate  Carol Ann Duffy even wrote a poem about pearls. Look it up, it's beautiful and captivating, just as a pearl should be.

Not real - re-purposed glass pearl necklace given to my cousin as a present, she too loves anything vintage


 Haematite (also known as Iron Ore Stone) is one of my basics. I find it in almost any shape I can imagine, and often pay no more than a couple of pounds for an 18" strand of fancy shapes. I recently purchased some "mystic coated" haematite double holed spacers which I re-dubbed "disco coating" because it reminded me of dance floor lights, sparkly shoes, dancing around my handbag and rock music fashion (don't ask me why about the latter - I just thought they would look good as an edgy rock-chic piece). It also does pretty good for jewellery that pays homage to Art Deco & Art Nouveau styles and periods,

My favourite earrings - haematite chevrons and milky glass diamonds
Inspired? I hope you've enjoyed this little look into how I tick. If you want a little more inspiration, you can always go onto the following links via Jewellery Maker TV!

http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=airu72&d=100cts-blue-opal-graduated-plain-slabs-approx-from-10x6-to-26x7mm,-20cm-strand.
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=szru73&d=70cts-fire-opal-graduated-medium-nuggets-approx-from-6x1-to-11x4mm,-18cm-strand.
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=cbgp36&d=90cts-rose-quartz-carved-flowers-approx-12mm
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=awpo61&d=white-straight-drilled-baroque-cultured-pearls-approx-9x8mm
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=xagp84&d=rose-pink-shell-pearl-plain-rounds-approx-10mm
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=afgp74&d=220cts-snowflake-obsidian-puffy-ovals-approx-18x13mm
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=bejk33&d=675cts-mystic-colour-coated-haematite-faceted-rounds-approx-11mm
http://www.jewellerymaker.com/en-gb/product.aspx?c=fdgk46&d=425cts-haematite-faceted-rounds-approx-10mm,-36cm-strand.

1 comment:

  1. Love those art deco earrings - really unusual!

    ReplyDelete